Re: My lunch with Microsoft

Phil,

Your advice is solid. However, on a smaller scale (as a one-man company) I have managed to cover my needs for backup by buying a second hard disk for each machine. The cost is minimal compared to a NAS, and it has worked for me. In addition, it is a good idea to have backups that are not connected to the computer all the time. Back in the days of IBM AT, I had a 44 MB Bernoulli box, which was great at the time. Nowadays big external hard disks are much less expensive and a good fallback solution.

Best regards, Kari Eveli LEXITEC Book Publishing (Finland) lexitec@xxxxxxxx *** Lexitec Online *** Lexitec in English: http://www.lexitec.fi/english.html Home page in Finnish: http://www.lexitec.fi/

Yes. I used Acronis at the University for my whole IT department and dev. server; It was great for quick backups and whole system images. However, it needs to put the data /somewhere; /That's what the NAS is for. But the NAS is capable of much more than that. Think of it as a super-convenient in-house server that needs no supervision and automatically snoozes when it's not needed.
In the past, as consultant to a few small publishing companies, the NAS
I installed on their local networks was a godsend to their ability to
work together.
As a (retired) consultant, this is something I can't recommend enough.
This advice is free; you may take it for what it's worth.

Phil White