Re: OT: Win-10 gripes

flash,

Your gripes are largely justified, but on the positive side, Windows has all those third-party add-ons you need, like Total Commander, FileMenu Tools (https://www.lopesoft.com/index.php/en/) which gives Desktop context-menu tools for multiple rename, etc., FreeFileSync (https://freefilesync.org/) for updating folders and so on and so forth.

The Win 10 tiles are actually an older invention: I used to work with similar tiles in Win 3.1 before I discovered the Praxim command line program. hDC Power Launcher had those in 1992 (https://books.google.fi/books?id=X4152M1DLygC&pg=PA48&lpg=PA48&dq=HDC+power+tools+pc+magazine&source=bl&ots=H-v5wShlEf&sig=ACfU3U30iQauC_jQ_pt6d5PP8oUVUzFKgw&hl=fi&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjZqMKz99DmAhVPfZoKHR8nCxkQ6AEwAHoECAYQAQ#v=onepage&q=HDC%20power%20tools%20pc%20magazine&f=false).

Professional users could benefit from a more streamlined and
customizable Windows. In the meantime, one can use W2K to give other OPs
the possibility to run 16- and 32-bit Windows, or continue to use Win7
at one's own risk.
Best regards,

Kari Eveli
LEXITEC Book Publishing (Finland)