RE: OT: Win-10 gripes

Philip and Flash:

This is an interesting debate. My first reaction is to ratify what Flash is saying, but I'm interested in Philip's perspective. Maybe he knows something we don't.

But allow me to give you, Philip, just one of many frustrations with Windows, and hope to learn from your answer. The search field near the start button (used to be inside the start pop-up menu) doesn't retain a stack of previously searched for items. Well, it's worse than that, actually: it doesn't retain even just the last thing you typed in.

The Run field does have a stack facility. I think previous version of Windows had it for the Search field. How on earth did they drop out this super-obvious feature?

Oh, all right, I'll add one more: there are times you can't do something with a file, like save it, because the file is being used by another program. Okay, what program?! Would it be so difficult to have the error message include what other program(s) are using the file? As it is, those of us with 12 or 24 different programs open cannot determine which program is using it (sometimes I think it's Explorer---which should not count as a use!). I end up closing almost all my programs before I can save the damn file.

I'm holding off the next one that occurred to me.

--Harry