Re: OT: Discuss

Carl and Jordan,

Having made a little dip in the Linux pond quite recently, I must say that in this respect the different distributions of Linux show just this kind of needless duplication. There is Ubuntu, Debian, Red Hat, CentOS, etc. While the basic functioning is not very different, there are no standard places for certain features, and numerous minor and subtle differences exist between distributions. And I am not even addressing the multifarious desktop interfaces, merely the groundwork of the OS. This may be coming some day, but it is not in the immediate future unless, e.g., MS licenses some variant of Linux (thus making other variants obsolete) and puts Windows embellishments on top of it. I am not sure whether Hyper-V would be needed technically in this scenario, but, on the other hand, it could be the focal point of the system.

Best regards,

Kari Eveli
LEXITEC Book Publishing (Finland)
lexitec@xxxxxxxxxx

*** Lexitec Online ***
Lexitec in English: https://www.lexitec.fi/english.html
Home page in Finnish: https://www.lexitec.fi/

Carl Distefano wrote:

I see this as a positive development. Competing OSes may have made
sense in the early days of personal computing, but think of the massive
duplication of efforts that could have been avoided had the convergence
happened years ago. In principle, it makes sense to cooperate on
building a universal computing infrastructure and let the competition
focus on making better apps.