Re: XySearch _ quick question

** Reply to message from J R FOX <jr_fox@xxxxxxxxxxx> on Sat, 15
Aug 2020 17:34:15 +0000 (UTC)

> I am glad to see that XySearch is still chugging away, and hope
> that is a status due to continue.  Wasn't there some downtime in
> the past though, or a period when it was emanating from a server
> in someone's closet?

Yes, the server was an IBM T23 laptop running Win2K for about 15
years in my closet, unattended (literally -- no updates, no
nothing).  Then the hard drive died, and with it ... the
software and data, poof.  So last year I rewrote it from
scratch, put it on my Linux server in Newark NJ, where it is
backed up nightly to another server in Manhattan.  It is "due to
continue", at least as long as I "continue".  Which, at age 75
with compromised lungs, may not be terribly long under present
circumstances (thus I sequester 5 miles from the nearest living
soul, on an oceanic island 15 miles from America).

If someone would like to maintain the bloody thing "later on",
it's pretty much self-sustaining and -regulating:  a
freelists.org subscription and a cocktail of Bash scripts, PHP,
SQL, tequila, lime juice, salt on the rim.  I could probably
wrap the whole thing up in a package, tie with an instructional
ribbon, pass it on.

> does it happen to fall within coverage of the internet Wayback
> machine?  Maybe not, if it is private for the use of
> subscribing members.

It is 100% public.  Anyone can access, if they know it exists,
or care.
	http://xywrite.org/
To my knowledge, there is no Wayback coverage of these messages.
And BTW, if anybody has a cache of 1986-1995 messages, of ANY
shape or description -- from the original XyQuest Information
Line, Henry Kisor, Wicked Scherzo, Compuserve -- do let me know
please.  I have some very big gaps.  From 1997 onward, I think I
have almost everything (but I'd love to be corrected).

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxxxx