Re: A reprogrammable keyboard alternative - follow-up

Hello all,
I would like to share my Cherry experience with those possibly interested in programmable keyboards. In order to use the spare keys available in the keyboard with XyWrite, one needs a unique (not used) XyWrite key table (.KBD file) number attached to an available Cherry scan code. Testing procedure: write tentative scan codes to keyboard using the Cherry Designer utility, use a test.kbd file to discover what numbers they render (available at http://xywrite.com/ttg/misc/misc.htm).
First, the hardware programming of the Cherry keyboard is simple and
speedy, much better than that of Avant. The customer support is really
fast. I had an answer to my question about F13-F22 scan codes in about
10 minutes. I have experimented with the keyboard and XyWrite, and here
are the results:

Cherry scan codes
=================
as supplied by official Cherry support

XY	KEY	HEX
--------------------
100	F13	0x5d
101	F14	0x5e
102	F15	0x5f
103	F16	0x65
104	F17	0x66

105	F18	0x6D
106	F19	0x6F
107	F20	0x71
108	F21	0x67
109	F22	0x68
110	F23	0x69
118	F24	0x6b

100-104 already defined in Xy key file, cannot be used!
105-118 not defined in Xy key file, usable as spare keys!
105 is assigned to mouse in Xy4, but it can be relocated.

Cherry scan codes usable in Xy3+/Xy4 and NB
as discovered by trial-and-error

XY	KEY	HEX	Suggested Cherry location (see attached picture)
86	< EU	0x56	F3
89	Undef	0x59	F4
105	F18	0x6D	F5
106	F19	0x6F	F6
107	F20	0x71	F7
108	F21	0x67	F8
109	F22	0x68	F9
110	F23	0x69	F10
118	F24	0x6b	F11
119	Select	0x77	PrtSc
120	Stop	0x78	ScrollL
126	Find	0x7e	Pause
N.B. Change the ’number of keys’ of the kbd file accordingly (126-127), and in Xy4, change mouse to 127. Key 86 is European <, not present in US keyboards. Key 89 is undefined. Keys 119, 120, and 126 are present in Unix keyboards.
P.S. It seems that the Cherry scan codes have changed over time, and
there are no universal scan codes for F13-F22. E.g. These Cherry scan
codes are different from MS scan code specification for keyboard
manufacturers published in 2000 (Keyboard Scan Code Specification.
Revision 1.3a ’ March 16, 2000).

Best regards,

Kari Eveli
LEXITEC Book Publishing (Finland)