Re: A reprogrammable keyboard alternative - follow-up (afterthoughts)

Carl,

Thank you for your encouragement.

A recapitulation of my results with some new insights follows:
Purpose: to find ways to reprogram unique keys for use with DOS XyWrite and Windows applications based on scan codes available in a Cherry reprogrammable keyboard.
A set of XyWrite additional keys (with the eventual possibility to
repurpose the same keys with the ANSI equivalent of a Xy ASCII key when
suitable). All of these work independently in vDosPlus XyWrite and in
Windows Autohotkey (using, e.g., #IfWinNotActive, vDosPlus - XyWrite):

XY	KEY	HEX	Suggested Cherry location
86	< EU	0x56	F3
89	Undef	0x59	F4
105	F18	0x6D	F5
106	F19	0x6F	F6
107	F20	0x71	F7
108	F21	0x67	F8
109	F22	0x68	F9
110	F23	0x69	F10
118	F24	0x6b	F11
The following remappings can be used for Windows with a Cherry keyboard (given that F13-F4 etc. are defined in the Cherry keyboard according to the table below):

F13::a
F14::b
F15::c
F16::d
F17::e
F18::f
F19::g
F20::h
F21::i
F22::j
F23::k
F24::l
SC0x56::m
SC0x59::n
N.B. If Windows knows how to uppercase the chr. on the right, Shift state works (Shift-F13 produces A, etc). ’/’ does not.

KEY	HEX
------------
F13	0x5d
F14	0x5e
F15	0x5f
F16	0x65
F17	0x66
F18	0x6D
F19	0x6F
F20	0x71
F21	0x67
F22	0x68
F23	0x69
F24	0x6b
I have meanwhile contacted the author of KBDEdit, and obtained interesting details about the program. As it stands today, KBDEdit is not very usable for extending the number of unique keys of a keyboard like the Cherry unit. This limitation is due to the lack of "unused mappable virtual key codes" that, while present in KBDEdit, do not coincide with the scan codes available in Cherry remapping.
Other keys can be made to produce Unicode or other characters not in the
layout by writing a triggering key macro (e.g. $copyright$) to a key in
Cherry Designer, and resolving it in Autohotkey (a bit clumsy but
workable), e.g.
:*:$copyright$::©
This is not so easy as I first thought, but all keys can be reprogrammed and put to good use.

Best regards,

Kari Eveli
LEXITEC Book Publishing (Finland)
lexitec@xxxxxxxxxx

*** Lexitec Online ***
Lexitec in English: https://www.lexitec.fi/english.html
Lexitec English and Finnish dictionaries: https://sk.lexitec.fi/en/
Home page in Finnish: https://www.lexitec.fi/
By all means, Kari, keep these posts coming! This is just the sort of
thing we are (still) here for....