Re: Xy4 installation and upload files again

Kari, just on the question -- does anyone have the legal right to distribute XyWrite to new users? -- I appreciate that you are discussing the issue from a general perspective.

My belief is that in this case, there are particulars which make the right of distribution indisputable. My reasoning is that for many decades now, one or another of the people in this group have freely and publicly made the program available on one or another websites. However, my understanding of U.S. law is that the copyright holder only has one year to file a complaint in such circumstances. The last known copyright holder, TTG, has not filed a complaint or uttered a syllable of protest. There is also the documented fact that some members of this group have spent much effort over many years trying to contact the principals of TTG. All such approaches have met with silence. Moreover, all of this played out on a public and easy-to-find mailing list.

Perhaps someone with greater knowledge of US law (at both the federal and state levels?) can correct me. I believe it is clear that nobody interested in using, having, or distributing XyWrite need have any fear, ethically or legally, that they could possibly be in the wrong. Therefore I think we can all in good conscience do whatever we can to increase the user base.