Re: Xy4 installation and upload files again

Reply to note from Kari Eveli <lexitec@xxxxxxxxxxx> Sun, 9 Jan 2022
16:18:58 +0200

Kari,

> I know Carl's newest solution is not for VirtualBox W2K or
> VirtualPC 2007 DOS. All the same, I tried it as I tried Edward's
> installer before, and it seems that at least I cannot get these to
> install properly.

I'm surprised that you couldn't get my latest package to run. It's
simply a collection of XyWrite program and customization files.
Although there are a few U2 commands, e.g. SCREENSIZE, that are
tailored to DOSBox-X and vDosPlus, the installation itself is mostly
plain-vanilla (except for portability and U2, which should both be
benign) and not targeted to any particular DOS environment. If you have
DOS running, with access to the folder that contains EDITOR.EXE, I see
no reason why it shouldn't launch. It's puzzling.

> However, I tried https://winworldpc.com/product/xywrite/4 which
> has a set of .IMG files that seem to work. I installed XyWrite
> 4.014 successfully on W2K without any problems (after installing a
> floppy device in the virtual machine). The result seems ok.

Since that runs successfully, you should be able to swap in a few files
from my installation in order to upgrade it to v4.018:

EDITOR.EXE
SETTINGS.DFL
XY4.DLG
XY4.HLP
XY4.MNU

And if that works, you should then be able to copy over these
additional files, whereupon you will have effectively replicated
(almost) my portable package in your W2K environment:

STARTUP.INT
PCL.PR4
POSTGHST.PR4
XYWWWEB.U2
XYWWWEB.INF
changelog.pdf
XYWWEBU2.REG
REG-READ.ME
readme-u2.pdf
XYWWWEB.REG

I'd be very interested to hear whether this approach works for you.

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxxxx