XyWrite 4 for the Mac

Thanks to Carl’s skill with XPL, it took all of five minutes to adapt my DOSBox-X-App to a standalone XyWrite 4 setup for the Mac. Download this file:

Move the XyWrite4 app out of your Downloads folder and run it. It will work correctly only if, when prompted, you grant it permission to access your Documents and Desktop folders when prompted. When it starts, it displays a message explaining that Drive C: is your Documents folder and Drive D: is your desktop. Enter EDITOR and XyWrite will start up.

It’s possible that macOS will show another prompt saying that the app wants permission to receive keystrokes from any application. If this happens, you can choose “Deny” but it’s possible that CapsLock won’t work. It may be safest to grant the permission that macOS suggests.

By default, when you print, it will create (and open) a PDF on your desktop. However, if you enter SETP 2 at the command line, the app will (I hope) print to your Mac default printer.

No support, but I’ll try to fix any problems that come up. This is only possible because Carl made it possible.