Re: A surprise announcement: DOS Word 5.5 has an installer

Bob,
Early versions of Word (1.1, 2, 3) had issues with memory management. They could become unstable if the session was lengthy or the file large. I think Word became gradually better (more stable and easier to use) with each new version up to 5 - 5.5 and still retained the original benefits. You could use even Word 5.0 when you disable the Summary sheet option. Summary sheets in Word 4 and 5 do not understand Y2K dates. Word 5 crashes if Summary sheets are used. Word 4 complains about 'Not a valid date' but does not crash. Word 3 has no Y2K issues, and it has the 'Alpha' command if you want to retain the original menu structure.
I have different versions of Word installed in my Virtual PC 2007. The
memory footprint changes from 189 KB (Word 3.1) to 397 KB (Word 5.0) of
used memory. XyWrite 4 consumes only 119 KB. All figures at startup
without a loaded file.
Nano is a nice Linux editor. Personally, I use EditPad to edit my remote
Linux server files via FireFTP (a classic Firefox add-on).

Best regards,

Kari Eveli
LEXITEC Book Publishing (Finland)
lexitec@xxxxxxxxxx

*** Lexitec Online ***
Lexitec in English: https://www.lexitec.fi/english.html
Lexitec English and Finnish dictionaries: https://sk.lexitec.fi/en/
Home page in Finnish: https://www.lexitec.fi/
Sorry for the delayed reply Kari; I was referring to Word 1.1 for DOS.
It was amazing for its time and still is at least as a
distraction-free word processor.

Returning to Word 1.1 for DOS, I would use it more often for composing
pure text, except for what I mentioned --- that DOSBox really drains
my laptop batteries.  (Same issue with Xywrite unfortunately.)  I have
exclusively Linux systems and I've customized the Nano editor to serve
the purpose of writing a quick blog column or short fiction.