Working fastest in __ mode (was: Large fonts...)

On 28-2, Carl DiStefano wrote (in part)

"Tests that Robert & I performed way back when showed that, other things
being equal, XyWin works fastest in graphics mode, whereas Xy4 is at its
speediest in eXPanded mode. ..."

I hesitate to argue with my betters, but I just don't understand this. I've
learned to my cost that many operations -- whether in XyWin or in Xy4DOS --
are radically slower in anything but expanded mode. I've learned to my cost
that if I've made the mistake of not shifting into XP before starting a
global change that involves any "triangle" strings (e.g. changing all
[enter]≪MD[S]UL≫ to ≪MD[S]IT≫[enter]; or, _a fortiori_, running a macro
to convert ≪C0≫ to sequential hard numbers) in a large and varied file, I
might just as well go make a cup of tea while the dust settles. Just today,
I put a long but very simple string into the clipboard and then tried to
paste a copy elsewhere in the file, while still in WYSIWYG mode, and the
display looked like a backward child trying to learn to read Latin
hexameters ...

Cheers
Eric Van Tassel