Re: Can't print in XY3+

Rickmcelroy wrote:
Hi,
I can't print from xy3+. Is the update that was mentioned before available yet for printing from xy3+.
I don't think you need an update (I use Xy4 exclusively), but you need to check some things in your configuration. 1. What Printer Language does the p707 speak? If it doesn't understand HP PCL or Postscript, your only alternative is to use TYP, and for that you need Ghostscript (freware) and Russell Lang's GSView (nagware, and worth every cent). 2. OPsys? W98 does NOT permit you to map a USB printer to a fictional LPT port (unless the USB prnter is connected to another PC in the Network). If you're running 9x and have a USB only printer, again you have to use TYP (I THINK Robert Holmgren wrote a Xy3 version; check XyWWWWeb). 3. If you have W2K, XP, or (probably; the printer on my Vista laptop is an Epson, ence not HP-compatible, so I have to use TYP and cannot test) Vista, you can use the Net use command to make Xy think it's printing to an LPT. 3.1 First, make sure the printer is shared in its Windows properties page.
3.2 Command
NET USE LPT1 \\computername\sharename /PERSISTENT:YES
Where computername is the name of the PC you're using (right-click My Computer [just "Computer" in Vista], Properties, look for Computer name), and sharename is the printer's name (from Printer Properties, Shared as). 3.3 Load an HP driver (modern deskjets seem to work better with older LaserJet drivers, but YMMV); someone who uses Xy3 please tell him how to assign the driver to LPT 1.
Are you sure Prtwithxy is in fact the name of your PC? I would
also suggest you at least include margins and a typeface format
in the file. HPs sometimes choke on a plain data stream. But
first of all check the printer's ability to interpret PCL.
When I enter the printer properties in CONTROL PANEL, PRINTERS, PORTS
it lists the ports LTP1 etc. and says it will send it to the first 3 ports checked.

I can only check one. USB is selected.

When I select LPT1 then USB becomes unchecked.
No, you DON'T want to select LPT1 there. Windows has to print to
USB; the Net use trick makes Xy think it's sending to a fictional
lpt. And if you do in fact have a parallel port (25-hole D-shell
socket) on your PC, that's Lpt1, and you want the Net Use command
to read lpt2.
We've gone over this in the archives umpteen times. If I can ever
pull together all the posts, could we post them someplace for
easy reading?
--
Patricia M. Godfrey
priscamg@xxxxxxxx