Re: Threading (Message-ID: 200212210734.gBL7YnBT007741@xxxxxxxx)

Thanks. I still won't use AT&T, but my friend does, so all info is
welcome. I LOVED your tale of the tech who didn't know 5-inch drives came
in high-density formats. I once--years ago, in the days of the 286 and
RAM add-in cards--called Epson tech support to get help configuring the
EMM board to extended, rather than expanded, memory (I was using Novell
DOS 7, which can run in DOS protected mode, so EXMS, rather than EMM, was
the way to go) in my Equity II PC (anyone remember them?). She walked me
through the process several times (which I had already done) and then
suggested: "It sounds as if your CMOS is stuck. Try diconnecting the
battery." ! Needless to say, I didn't. Eventually, we found out that
though one tech there had told me that this particular brand of EMS board
was fully compatible with the Equity II, it wasn't really--not to the
extent of supporting EXMS. And there was the ISP tech who concluded, when
my PC kept rebooting while trying to install their software, that their
system must be "incompatible" with Novell DOS (of which he had never
heard); turns out the MOBO and the floppy-hard controller card had
hairline cracks and were on their last legs. The system could read
floppies under DOS/Win31, but the install routine was writing directly to
the hardware and overstressing the flawed boards. (Now that I think of
it, it's odd that I had no problems with Xy then: I was using it almost
exclusively).

We need a modern version of the old tag "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes,"
something along the lines of "Who shall support the tech supporters?"
Hmm, let me see...
Patricia