Re: XyShell

** Reply to message from Paul Breeze  on Fri, 10
Jan 2003 13:46:13 GMT

Paul:

Thanks for the tests & info.

> 5. Boot drive letter is C and I have allowed REXX to put itself
> into its preferred directory.

Which dir is that, just for the record?

> 8. I have attached, zipped, the requested files and sent them
> to you personally.

Got 'em. You sent me W2.bat (which, in 9x, is for full screen VGA) -- if you
have a W2WIN.bat (for DOS boxes in 9x; should be in the ObjREXX dir), please
copy the contents into an Email and send privately. For the same Email, please
do the following: Open a DOS window, command:
 set >ENVRNMNT.TMP
then attach ENVRNMNT.TMP to the Email.

> W2-Alias.dat was not in my editor directory but in the objrexx directory.

That's where it's supposed to be; my comment that you'd find it in Editor's dir
was incorrect.

> I tried moving it, but to no avail.

Don't! Put it back where you found it, in C:\PROGRA~1\ObjREXX

What does this CMline command return (on the PRompt line)?:
 VA/NV @652
It should say "XyOS=W98" (you're running Win98SE, right?).

Obviously the goal is to determine where exactly you are incurring the "this
program cannot be run in dos" error. In other words, which program is the
system talking about? Anything you can think to do to diagnose that would be
helpful. I personally haven't a clue, but it seems to me that it has to be one
of the following. Try these tests:
Hit keypad-5 (your "shell to new DOS session" key) and trigger the usual DOS
error. Then issue two separate CMline commands:
 dos/nv/x/z /c START C:\PROGRA~1\OBJREXX\W2.BAT
 dos/nv/x/z /c START C:\PROGRA~1\OBJREXX\W2WIN.BAT
Now *shell from XyWrite* to DOS (CMline command DOS/NV). Issue two
separate commands at DOS:
 start C:\PROGRA~1\OBJREXX\W2.BAT
 start C:\PROGRA~1\OBJREXX\W2WIN.BAT
What's the response to those four commands? Do any work? Do any fail? All
_should_ open a new window and locate you at a DOS command line. If they yield
the "this program cannot be run in dos" error, I'm wondering if you are missing
a START command for some reason? Try to launch the BAT files from DOS without
using the START command -- see if that works. Does something like START
EXPLORER.EXE work (this is File Explorer, not Internet Explorer)? I assume
your COMSPEC is standard COMMAND.COM and not some third-party replacement? Try
"echo %COMSPEC%" at DOS and see what that returns. The only other thing I can
think of offhand is that maybe you don't have enough DOS memory left over
(after XyWrite) to run anything? Hardly likely -- what does MEM /C say about
available DOS memory? OR -- this is possible -- maybe you've loaded so much
into XyWrite Save/Get memory that U2 programs are failing -- this _can_ happen
in extreme circumstances. What does CMline command "VA/NV $M+6" report,
both before and *after* you hit the "shell to new DOS session" key?

Lemme know...

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx