Re: XySearch server back online again

You need to remove the laptop HD from the laptop. So, yeah, you gotta open the
case. That's the easy part.

I love prying into things. Really.
The hard part is getting the data off the HD. I bought the adaptor (this was
Patricia's contribution -- I had no idea these exist -- e.g. at
www.cyberguys.com, "Mount a 2.5" drive in a 3.5" drive bay"), and connected it.
The last laptop, a Sony, I opened had its HD soldered into its motherboard.
Is yours different--or do I have to heat up the soldering iron too?

And blah blah blah. This give you some idea of what's involved? Not sham pain.

No, indeed.
The worst part was, when all done, I discovered that my backups from last
January were 99.99% complete. I thought that I had made crucial changes
subsequent to my last backup, and it turned out to be untrue. I could have
just gone with my backups, and it would have worked. Grrrr&%$#@!
That *is* maddening. But here's a small note of compensation: the hard-won
knowledge you've assembled here will help us the next time our laptop dies
(and that seems to happen a lot). Then will your name be praised in all the
temples of the land.

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx