XYWRITE DEVEL

XY-> --Leslie Bialler:

XY-> I will not add to the Operating System wars here but I cannot resist the
 -> crack that Windows has contributed to Congressman Henry Hyde's now famous
 -> speech about the "dumbing down of America." I realize all to will that you
 -> have to market your product to what today's users want, but I just have to
 -> say I hate GUIs, I hate icons, and I have no respect for people who think
 -> that doing so simple a task as:

XY-> copy a:*.* c:\xy\data is "arcane."

The value of Windows (which isn't even an OS, one of the reasons
the OS debate is so silly) is that it allows the sharing of
common resources, such as fonts, printer files, and so forth.

And the value of computing is not how many commands one knows but
what one can do. A GUI makes such programs as Quark,
Fontographer, or Fractal Painter possible. And a common character
set allows easier data sharing.

As far as colors or other configuration options go, you can run
different instances of Xywrite or different instances of
Windows itself depending on what you want when. It's only a
question of time-value.

Windows may make it easier for dumber people to do dumber things,
but there's a hell of a lot to learn to use it efficiently.

--Chet

---
 ? SLMR 2.1a ? Art + write + dtp = chet.gottfried@xxxxxxxx