Re: Excel to XY

Brian.Henderson@xxxxxxxx wrote:

> Judith, I have often run across this sort of thing and it can be
> caused by:
>
> 1. (this is the most common reason) The file is also being displayed
> by a program set to "lock files while editing" (or some similar
> concept).
>
> 2. (this one is really weird...and I've only seen this with
> Microsquish programs) If you, say, open a file with Excel, then close
> the file without closing the program...Excel can sometimes (but,
> oddly, not every time) still have a "hold" of some kind on the file.
> It can also sometimes prevent you from deleting a directory, for the
> same reason. Try redirecting Excel's (or any suspect program) "focus"
> by browsing to another directory and opening and closing a file.

Ah! Even better than my idea, Brian. And you certainly are _not_ crazy.

Judith, if Brian is right, and I think he is, if--WITHOUT CLOSING THE
FILES OR THE APPS-- you click on "my computer," and then click on the
folder that contains the files in question, you may see on the list of
files (and be sure to ask to see "all files."

Next,configure the icons to list and to view details. Once you have done
that you may well see two versions of the file in question. Thus:

judith_project.xls
and
~$judith_project.tmp

What is happening here is that Windows is saving a temporary copy of
your file. This is really a good thing--it's an extra backup.

Cheers!

> P.S. Ignore all those people who are going to say I'm crazy and give
> it a try anyway.
>
> Brian Henderson
> Print Composition Dept.
> Mitchell Repair Information Co.
> San Diego, CA
>
> brian.henderson@xxxxxxxx
> (858) 391-5000 - x.6533

lb136@xxxxxxxx
61 W. 62 St, NYC 10023
212-459-0600 X7109 (phone) 212-459-3677 (fax)