Re: OT: DOS booting

WAIT A MINUTE! Are you saying that *logical* partitions are recognized by the BIOS boot sequence thing??!!
NO. NO. NO. Sorry, I wrote that half asleep, meant to fix it, and forgot.
You need a boot loader to boot from another partition, as opposed to
another physical hard drive. But I believe most of the partitioning
utilities (Partition Magic, System Commander, etc.) include one.
I think I have one. And I have floppy disks for DOS 6.x, but no floppy
drives in the house. I guess the thing is to go to my friendly clone-maker,
borrow his floppy to get a flash drive image or burn a CD. Then I should
make a partition which is FAT16 and DOS, and I'll be able to run my BASIC
compiler. Maybe. But re having the OS only on a smaller C:, does this make
it easy to reinstall Windows? Or do you still have to reinstall every damn
separate program after re-installing the OS?
WinXP itself puts one on if you install it on a system with another version of Win on another partition (as I discovered a while back). Trust me, Harry, one big drive is IDIOCY! (One thing, at least, on which Robert and I agree.) Get a partition maker and use it.
Two things: why is it idiocy? I've never understood the reasoning (it's not
that I've disagreed--I simply don't understand it). Second, Win comes with
a command-line driven partitioner called DISKPART. I'm afraid to run it
when I don't yet know the difference between a volume and a partition. I've
worked with it until I get to a choice between creating: an EFI system
partition, an extended partition, a logical drive, a Microsoft reserved
partition, or a primary partition. That's where I'm really at sea. But I
won't ask here, lest Robert yells at me. (Actually, I subscribed to an
Experts Forum, so I can ask there.)

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx