Non-XYW question. Printer

 This is not a XYWrite question, but given the number of
 experts here, I thought I'd ask. My old, but until this
 morning, very good HP LJIIP+ printer worked like a pro-
 verbial charm. This morning it started to produce pages
 with a 3" wide or so shaded vertical strip down the left
 half of the printed page. It is not too dark and so I
 can see the writing under the shaded area quite well. Is
 this a cartridge needing replacement, etc. I hesitate to
 buy a cartridge in case it is something more serious, ...
 especially given the age of the machine.

 In advance, thank you. Off list answers would be appre-
 ciated, given that it is not an XYWrite topic.

 M.W. Poirier