Re: Netscape, XyWrite, and the Media

Harry Binswanger wrote:

> Leslie:
> >As someone who prefers results to ideological purity, I say to Walter,
> >and those who agree with him, on this: "amen brother!"
> >
> I reach the same conclusion, from the opposite premise: my ideological
> purity tells me to use MS in preference to companies that wield the
> antitrust club to make up for second-rate performance.

Well, yes, that is the other side of the coin, isn't it? I hadn't thought
of that other side as itself being ideologically pure (I would have thought
it the quintessence of pragmatism) but it can certainly be interpreted that
way.

Setting ideologies, coins, and definitions aside for the moment: It will be
interesting to listen to the words of those who inveigh against Gates and
his world if they are suddenly forced to purchase computers where one mfg.
makes the op. sys, another the software suite, and a third the Internet
makings. At least I shall have the satisfaction, if not downright fun, of
hearing you say, "I told you so."

Cheers!

lb136@xxxxxxxx
212-666-1000 x7109 (phone) 212-316-3100 (fax)