Re: Printing with III (XYWRITE digest 2815)

William E. Shawcross wrote:
Continuing on with the saga of my trying to print over my LAN to a network printer under XyWrite III+ (network edition) --
Network edition? Was there such a thing? Even if there was, you don't need it to print.
Trying to simplify my problem I installed a Generic/Text printer
(shared) with its port being the octet address of my LAN printer
(192.168.1.199), and without spooling. A test file from Notepad printed
without complaint. (This is with the LPT1 cable disconnected, so the
only connection to the printer -- an HP2100TN -- is through my LAN.)
You don't need octet addresses for this. I don't use them, printing either to a USB printer attached to the PC (only under W2K--or XP which I don't use except occasionally to test) or to a real network printer. Just the Net use command (run only once) and the LPT assignment within Xy.
Here is the relevant part of my WES.NET file:

;Printer Files Selected (SETP)
;®TS20,60¯
pp:2
LPT1  C:\XY\3HP2100.PRN  PCL 6 Printer
LPT1  C:\XY\POST    PostScript Printer
How would you print from III (this is what I cannot remember) if no
network were involved?
When I print a file from XyWrite, the file passes through the selected XyWrite printer driver and out the LPT1 port directly to the printer over the Centronics cable.

Right.
Now when one selects a shared printer, the data stream passes through the XyWrite PRN file, then through the Windows driver for the particular printer,
NO. If it did, we could use TrueType and USB printers. The trick with
a shared printer, either a real network share or a pseudo network
share under W2K/XP, is to map the network share or the local USB
printer to the nonexistent parallel port. Now if you have a REAL
parallel port, I THINK you have to assign the mapped share to another
LPT port.
(2) Use the NET USE LTP1 command to hook directly to the printer without going through \\servername\sharename.
You have to cite the share name in Net Use.

Look, try this:
1. Determine the UNC name (not the octet address) of the printer. (Printers, right click on the icon for that printer, Properties; I'm working on 98 here, so I cannot say exactly where you'll find it, but one of those tabs should display it, in a form like this:

\\ComputerName\\HPLJ5000
)
2. Write down the UNC name.
3. Open a DOS prompt and type
net use lpt2 \\Computername\HPLJ5000 /persistent:Yes (using the UNC name you found in step 1)
4. In Xy, set up your printer to print to LPT2

Call a file, and try to print it.

--
Patricia M. Godfrey
PriscaMG@xxxxxxxx