Re: VIRUS WARNING (dubious) for XYWRITE digest

> Alex Hellemans:
>
> >Some of the virusses (and I believe SirCam does) propagate through entire
> >networks of linked computers.
>
> Oh come on. They propagate only if you let them. And you let them by
> running irresponsible Microsoft Software with irresponsible default
> settings. So just don´t and end of story.
>

> -- Rene von Rentzell, temporarily exiled to Flensburg

But the reality is that the largest majority of PC computers run this kind
of software and come with these default settings preset. A friend of mine
at Naples University told me that all the computers of his department
(except a single one that runs on Linux) were knocked out because one klutz
clicked on the SirCam attachment.

I would love to run my computer with Linux, for example, but the consequence
would be that I would be severely limited with my software. But I may be
wrong. For example, can you look at pdf files under Linux? Do you have the
flexibility to deal with editors, page proofs, web pages, archived articles
and papers, etc. using Linux? I use Zoot for research, and I don't think
there is anything comparable that can run under Linux.

Alexander Hellemans