Re: XyWrite to Go?

"What is really difficult for me to understand, Annie, is how a
product like
XY [...] "

Harmon: Like Carl's, my msg was addressed to Kenny Frank. I'm
interested in what he has to say on the subject--not in bashing
TTG. If what I wrote implied the latter, then it was ill-phrased.
Hijacking Carl's excellent proposal to serve as yet another
vehicle for berating TTG and for braindead debate of MS business
practices performs no useful purpose that I can see.

:   : Would it really take more than 10 minutes to make :   : a
keyboard that has all the basic HTML tags assigned : : to obvious
keys? Has anyone done it, by the way? If so, : : send it along so
we can post it for downloading.

:   I guess so--Annie's tried, and hasn't come up with a really
:   workable solution, last I heard. And neither has TTG. :  But
I'd certainly be interested in seeing Annie's version.

Yes, an html table takes 10 minutes to build, although I prefer an ;SP; table
(see below; to form an html.kbd table, change the abbreviations
and spaces to nn= and add commas). The approach I used, however,
was an html.prn that translates formatting code and ascii symbols
to html code on tyf'ing (some typical entries also below).

The problem others and I meet is that xyWrite (like other
software) drivers produce excess coding at returns that's
harmless when you print to a printer, but it corrupts html. As
discussed here not long ago, it's reducible by strategies like
extending line length to the max during tyf, but even then the
.htm files require mop-up. The more uniform code entry is, the
more widely applicable a cleanup xpl is, but still one xpl
doesn't fit all and a user shouldn't need to worry about order of
code entry. Making the integrated
.kbd, .prn, .hlp, and xpl files presentable is time-consuming;
I've done so at various stages a few times for folks who've
asked. If any of them ended up using the system, I haven't heard
about it. The effort of course would be justified if the system
produced clean .htm files, but it doesn't and is on hold now. The
new release may surprise us. --A

;   An ;SP; html table
;   ---------------------------
;   Yes, these w-for-web, x-for-cancel
;   abbreviations are uninspired.
;   [*nnn*] = corresponding ascii symbol
;   --------------------------- wah [*013*]
wgb "[ wxg "> wxgx ">[*013*] wbq
wxq
[*013*] wul [*013*] wol
    wxo
[*013*] wdl
wxd
[*013*] wdt
wdd
wli
  • wslug wxslg [*013*] whed

    wxh

    [*013*] wsh

    wxs

    [*013*] wtx

    wxx

    [*013*] wsm

    wxm

    [*013*] wfn
    wxf
    [*013*] wsf
    wxsf
    [*013*] wtt [*013*] wxt [*013*] wpf
     wxp
    [*013*] wlo
    wxl
    [*013*] wbf wxb wii wxi whb wxhb whi wxhi ; =========================================================== ; ; typical html.prn entries ( [*nnn*] = corresponding ascii symbol ): ; ; v4 (arbitrary): FA:3 ; and FP:3 COURIER10=STANDARD,FIXED,PREFORMATTED DUTCH=QUOTE,UNNUMLIST,ORDEREDLIST,DFLIST,SLUG,HED,SUBHED,TEXT,SMA LLTEXT,FN,SMA LLFN,ADDRESS SWISS=CITETITLE,CPUSTATUSMSG,USERENTRY,USERREPLACE,NOCODE,COMMENT ; ; v3 and v4: PT=1 ; v3: MD NM+TEXT MD UL+TEXT+URL ; v4: MD NM=(*) MD UL=(*+URL) ; ; FONTS (both versions): FO:TEXT FO<

    [*013*][*010*] UW:TEXT US:HTML ; next two lines v4 only: md=nm FY=1 ET ; (both versions): ; ATTRIBUTES AT:URL AT<
    [*013*][*010*] ET ; SU:HTML [*031*]= [*224*]=alt="[ [*234*]=]"> ; ========================== annie fisher nyc