Re: Exporting files with accented characters

I found the LPT4 method unusable because it
truncates the clip after something like 12 KB.

Aha! I suspected there might be such a limitation. And obviously one is foolish to rely on such an ill-defined-across-platform concept as the clipboard, especially for large files.

1. If I had large XyWrite files to convert from DOS encoding or to Windows or to Mac, would it be safe to rely on MSW's DOS-to-other translation features? I realize that is a very big question to ask, given the uncomfortably large number of MSW versions and platforms in current use.

2. Am I the only person ever to have acquired the Adobe recension of Word for Word which was on a CD and worked on several platforms? I would dearly love to be able to get my hands on that again.

3. Isn't there a contemporary bullet-proof system for converting DOS files to contemporary Mac or Windows? Surely such a programme would be child's play to write?

4. Do we have documented which XyWrite accents are still in DOS upper ASCII and therefore are easily translatable to standard Mac and Windows codepages, and which require specialized translation from the Bitstream encodings? I am guessing that all Western (+central +Eastern European?) accents, which are standard in upper-ASCII, extended ASCII, or to be more exact, Windows-1252, are included.

5. Do we know who owns the word-for-word software now?

At 2/4/2022 10:40 PM, you wrote:
Reply to note from Bill Troop <billtroop@xxxxxxxxx> Fri, 4 Feb 2022
21:20:44 +0000

> I'm only using the absolutely standard vDos command

Yes, I see that this works, too. So evidently vDos(Plus) does the code-
page conversion as well. I found the LPT4 method unusable because it
truncates the clip after something like 12 KB.

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxxxx