Re: Exporting files with accented characters

Bill,

I have been trying to advocate EditPad as the best solution. I think it is really bullet-proof, and it has Xy syntax coloring for formatting changes as a plus. It works both ways: you can edit a file simultaneously with Xy and EditPad. More on this setup in the vDosPlus XyWrite installer documentation. I see no real disadvantages to using this solution. I have been using it for quite a few years now, with no adverse effects. Evem the free EditPad 8 Lite works with Xy syntax coloring, but to edit really huge files EditPad Pro is better.

3. Isn't there a contemporary bullet-proof system for converting DOS files to contemporary Mac or Windows? Surely such a programme would be child's play to write?

As to your question about Xy accents, see Xy4 customization guide,
appendix E. Basically CP437 works which means most Western European
languages are covered, Central and Eastern Europe not. CP437 covers much
of the same ground as Windows-1252
> Do we have documented which XyWrite accents are still in DOS upper
ASCII and therefore are easily translatable to standard Mac and Windows
codepages, and which require specialized translation from the Bitstream
encodings? I am guessing that all Western (+central +Eastern European?)
accents, which are standard in upper-ASCII, extended ASCII, or to be
more exact, Windows-1252, are included.
Best regards,

Kari Eveli
LEXITEC Book Publishing (Finland)