Re: OT: Win-10 Updates

And I'm with you Kari, as regards points 2 & 3.

After our freelance IT consultant became gravely ill some
years back, never to return, I did what I could to fill in for
him, even thoughI'm just a hobbyist whose tech capabilities
are just a tiny fraction of what his were.  This was pretty
much adequate though, up through Win-7, and we did not
need to call in any outside help -- although we came close
to doing that a couple times. With the onset of Win 10
(which for us is pretty recent, because we held off on it
for as long as possible), I have basically thrown up my
hands.  Admittedly, I have not dealt with it that much --
by choice.  My exposure to it just repeatedly hit a very
frustrating brick wall.  It was all so very unproductive
and time-wasting: a constant annoyance of "WHAT are they
calling this longstanding feature NOW, and WHERE have they
hidden it ?!"  Said functions are most likely still there, but
change for change sake -- or maybe simply to justify the
sale of the new product -- seems to have become de rigeur
for MS.  Productivity becomes largely about familiarity, so
mucking about with what had been a pretty decent, proven,
well-established UI has not yielded any improvement that I
can see.  Quite to the contrary.  Not any more than that
misguided foray into using those Tiles as an integral part of
the UI, which was introduced for Win 8.

And some things that worked totally reliably under Win-7
don't seem to work properly at all under 10.  Like Drag & Drop
functionality for the TeraCopy utility.  I've read a few purported
fixes for this online, but haven't yet come up with one that
works.

I expect that I'll keep hammering away at 10 on a couple
boxes, when time permits.  While I have managed to make
a few things less objectionable, I'm thinking that in addition
to Flash's detailed recipe for shutting down the obnoxious
invasions of privacy, I'll want to do whatever is practical and
non-destructive towards "turning the clock back" on the UI,
to make it more 7-appearing and 7-working.  I was already
aware of things like "Classic Shell", which aimed to preserve
the XP UI.  If that marks me as standing in the way of
"progress", so be it.  I just want to continue on productively,
with the day to day stuff that I do -- which does not change
much.  (As has been the case with XyWrite and its users,
albeit perhaps the extreme example.)

  Jordan